Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Book Review #2: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
A must-read for any teenage girl.

Fangirl is not just a story about being a fangirl or fangirling. It tells the coming-of-age story of Cath, and explains why she grew up in the world of internet fandom with her twin sister and her bipolar father. Without a mother by their side. And despite being twins Cath and her twin Wren have different personalities and different life experiences. Catch lived in her own little bubble while Wren wanted to step out and live. 

As they started college, Cath and Wren lived inseperate dorms (it was Wren's idea saying that the whole point of college is meeting new people and she wasn't willing to miss that out just to hold her twins sister hand) so it was all new and unfamiliar to Cath. New life, new room, all she had was her fanfiction and the Simon snow stories she writes.

Her roommate, Reagan was the complete opposite of Cath. She was forceful and loud and everything cath was not. There's also Reagan's ex boyfriend and best friend Levi who was all smiley and nice to cath. And Nick, her writing partner.

I really liked how the events progressed. when I first started reading I though it was all about loving fan fiction and writing Simon and Baz stories but then it started to hit me how important those stories were to Cath and her sister Wren. They were all what Cath could ever write about because it was all about Sinon and baz.

At the end, Cath fortunately realizes that she has to write her own story with her own characters and just let go of Simon and Baz.

Honestly, I fell in love with this book from the first few pages. I feel like Cath is my spiritual animal. I love the bond between her and fiction world and I must say that It's one of my ultimate favorite characters. The selflessness and thoughtfullness in her are beyond amazing.

There's nothing I can say about this book, except that it is mind blowing. At some parts I felt like the events were so slow and that some parts were unnecessary but it all made sense at the end.

there was this part where Cath talks about her childhood and very sensitive moments of her life and how hard it was to not have a mother by your side that made me sob for like 3 minutes.

This books is a very beautiful and coherent mix of romance, humour, drama and fantasy and it is just something that any teenage can relate to.

So, if you have ever immersed yourself in a fictional character or lived a fictional story to the point that your life starts revolving around it, read this book.


"You’ve read the books?”

“I’ve seen the movies.”
Cath rolled her eyes so hard, it hurt. (Actually.) (Maybe because she was still on the edge of tears. On the edge, period.) “So you haven’t read the books.”
“I’m not really a book person.”
“That might be the most idiotic thing you’ve ever said to me.”
—  
Cath and Levi ❤

Thank you Rainbow Rowell.


1 comment:

  1. I've loved the book <3 By the way your blog looks so good
    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete